Applied Physics Laboratory IT Help Desk Technician in Laurel, Maryland
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHU/APL), a national leader in scientific research and development, located midway between Baltimore and Washington, DC is seeking an IT Help Desk Technician.
Provide technical phone and/or walkup support as a member of the Help Desk. Provide Help Desk phone support for customer departments.
- Provide first contact resolution for account administration, desktop, laptop, mobile devices, applications, and network connectivity problems remotely in a call center and via walkup. Create, maintain, and modify user accounts for network and APL business applications. Research, analyze, and diagnose problems with client systems including hardware and software, servers, peripheral equipment, and networks. Solve problems using documented processes where available and best practices where not. APL devices are comprised of various OS platforms including Microsoft Windows, Macintosh, Linux, and iOS. (80%)
- Perform other duties as assigned for example: (10%)
- Assist teams with incident response support.
Develop and present training sessions.
Provide documentation as appropriate (e.g. ServiceNow ticket creation and maintenance, e-mails, process improvements, knowledge base articles) (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
- Bachelor’s degree or at least 4 years of recent IT related work experience.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve technical problems for clients. Ability to independently resolve widely varying problems using current job knowledge and using research and external resources.
- Hardware, software and networking troubleshooting experience. Hardware experience must include desktops, laptops, mobile devices, and printers. Software experience to include Windows and Microsoft Office. Networking experience to include understanding TCP/IP and DNS. Understanding of Active Directory and Exchange.
- Highly motivated and have excellent customer service skills with the ability to interface with all levels of staff.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
- Bachelor’s degree in an IT-related field.
- 2-4 years experience in a call center environment
- 2-4 years experience with system management tools such as Altiris.
- Function as a subject matter expert in one or more technical areas.
- Software experience with Desktop remote control tools.
- Software experience with Windows 7, Mac, and iOS.
- Capable of leading at least one small project team and be a contributor in various areas within the department.
- Strong presentation skills which may be used to document analysis and deliver technical presentations to customer teams in an articulate and effective manner using a variety of media (visual, written and oral).
- Highly motivated with a desire to contribute to the success and direction for the group.
- Experience with identifying security related issues such as system hacks, computer viruses, worms, and spyware. Certifications: ITIL, A+, Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer for Windows (MCSE), Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT); HDI Support Analyst
Special Working Conditions:
Must be willing to support operations and work the necessary hours to complete critical work and/or troubleshooting.
Call Center environment that requires qualified candidates to troubleshoot problems over the phone during their assigned working hours to include, sitting for extended periods of time.
Applicant selected will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
APL offers a comprehensive benefits package including a liberal vacation plan, a matching retirement program, significant educational assistance, a scholarship tuition program for staff with dependents, and competitive salaries commensurate with skills and experience. For more information about our organization, please visit our web site at www.jhuapl.edu.
*Equal Employment Opportunity: *
Johns Hopkins University/Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments Acts of 1972, as well as other applicable laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Primary Location: United States-Maryland-*Laurel
Req ID: 16908